Other Helpful Information

What do I do if I believe my veterans preference rights were violated?

You should file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor, Veterans Employment and Training Service.

The Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA), 5 U.S.C. § 3330 et seq., provides an avenue of administrative redress specifically for a preference eligible who alleges that a federal agency violated such individual’s rights under any statute or regulation relating to a veteran’s preference eligible.

Under VEOA, in order to seek corrective action, a preference eligible is to file a written complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor, Veterans Employment and Training Service (VETS), within 60 days of the alleged violation. VEOA requires the Secretary of Labor, through VETS, to investigate the complaint and, upon determining that a violation occurred, to attempt to resolve the complaint by making reasonable efforts to ensure that the agency complies with the statute or regulation relating to veterans’ preference. If the Secretary is unable to resolve a complaint within 60 days, the Secretary is to provide notification of an unsuccessful effort to resolve the complaint to the complainant.

In light of VEOA, OSC does not investigate allegations of violations of veterans’ preference rights for corrective action purposes. (We still investigate such allegations for possible disciplinary action, however.) Thus, you should file a complaint alleging a violation of a veterans’ preference right with VETS, not OSC, unless you are seeking disciplinary action against the employee who allegedly violated your rights.

Additional Information about VETS can be found at http://www.dol.gov/vets.